Thursday, January 20, 2011

God of war 3 : brutal? or laughable?

When I first got God of War 3, it was for one reason and one reason only. I had recently heard it was the most violent game on the market.  It was. The game starts out with me riding on a tree giant, as I fight my way up Mount Olympus. I found shortly after the beginning just how brutal the game was, as I ripped off the claw of my enemy and used it to impale him through his heart. I soon found myself fighting Poseidon. Although the battle was kind of easy, the finish was indescribable. I watch--through Poseidon’s eyes--as I beat him to a bloody pulp, and then throw him off a cliff. Let’s just say, Kratos isn’t the nicest guy.  Apparently neither is his father, Zeus. I finally reach the top of Mt. Olympus, just for Zeus to throw me back down and cast me into the underworld.
The game got darker from there, as I cast aside any morals I may have previously had (which wasn’t difficult, since I had next to none anyway) and battled my way out of hell. I ripped, stomped and incinerated too many people to count. After I impaled a huge Cyclops through its eye with my double Blades of Exile, the beast roars as blood and slime oozes from its eyeball. After much effort and button pushing, I rip it from the socket and toss it to the side. I rapidly stab the gaping bloody hole, then jump to the--now blind--monsters shoulders and use it to fight off nearby enemies. After beating all of them, I stab its neck repeatedly until it collapses to the ground and explodes  into green and blue orbs. Then I walk away--as if that wasn't incredibly unnecessary and rude. God of war displays brutality under a shining spot light, and goes out of its way to make the game more violent with each battle. This game let me destroy mythical beasts, thousands of minions of hell, and not-very-immortal-gods in a way that will probably scar me for life.

It seemed as if Kratos had finally grown a heart, when he let a slave out of a chamber. He walks her to a door. The door must be held up, as it comes down too fast to go under it. So, he kills two birds with one stone. One: he puts the girl out of her misery. Two: he uses her body to hold open the gate.
 Later in the game, I find that Kratos has some family issues after he kills his mother, his brother and finally (in a not-so-epic last battle,) his farther. That left me unsatisfied, considering I beat Zeus in less than ten minutes.
All in all I give this game a 5.7 for a character that I had no sympathy for, a camera angle that made me feel out of the action, and a weak story line that sometimes got too theatrical. 

No comments:

Post a Comment